Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

[NaNoWriMo 2015] The Keyboard Debacle

So what have I learned this month already? I have learned that you can legitimately wear out a keyboard so that the sensors underneath the keys stop working. Apparently I have pressed the O key on my keyboard so many times the sensor no longer works. I have to mash it about ten thousand times to get one O. Then it sticks so that it's making multiple whenever I press it so that either way I have to spend time working on it in order to get any work done. This has made me more than a little frustrated. [I am currently typing, quickly, on a Logitech K120 USB keyboard.] However, I have also realized that when it comes down to cranking out the words, I will go through dealing with a crappy keyboard rather than not write. Spending an inordinate amount of time fixing things that shouldn't be broken is not a constructive way to spend your time. In fact, it's kinda stupid. I should have bought a new keyboard a week ago when I started having the problem instead of continuing on as if it would get better.
Note to self: Broken computer components do not get better by mashing them repeatedly. They get worse.
I'm a couple of days behind on MY wordcount because I haven't written seriously since Thursday of last week. This is not to be confused with being behind on NaNo's wordcount where I've been ahead since day one. Day 17 is 26,333. I've been at 46,000+ since last Thursday. I really should have finished before I went on my mini-vacation, but I just didn't push through what with the busted keyboard and all that.

What have I learned: Writing is sometimes a matter of will. Sometimes all that is required in order to do what you want is the will to continue. In this case, I didn't have the force of will necessary to continue; therefore, I did not finish ahead of time. I still have time to beat my personal best of 21 days (set in 2007).

No comments: