Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Looking at American Horror Story

I sat down and watched the premiere of "American Horror Story" on FX last night. After all the hype and even the interest I found on the website, I'm a little underwhelmed. It feels rather like they took "The Shining" or "Rose Red" and attempted to make a series. Now, this does not mean I will not continue to watch the series in order to answer the questions cropping up in my brain, but it does mean the questions are the only reason I'm interested in the series. While it is supposedly creepy and shocking, I found it to be neither really.

I don't know if the fact I do not find things all that creepy or shocking says something horrible about me or horrible about the show.

The questions which crop up for me are these:

Why is the house this kind of sinkhole for evil and violence?

What was the inciting incident leading to the other deaths?

Are the next door neighbors (Virginia & Adelaide) still alive? I wonder because of the way the dog reacts to them.

What is the deal with the Maid & the Latex man?

Once these are answered, if they haven't brought up something new and interesting, I will probably quit with this series. I might be a bit premature in my assessment, maybe they will have something worth watching in the next few episodes. Right now, I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: