Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014

I'm doing NaNoWriMo again this year. It'll be my tenth time participating and as such I look back on all the times I've done this before and try not to think about how many books didn't turn into anything. However, I can look at it more positively by looking at the number of stories I've finished after starting them for NaNoWriMo. The last time I finished an entire novel (65000 words) during the month of November. That became "Wearing His Ring". I've since written the sequel "Wielding His Scythe" and the third in the trilogy "Winning His Kingdom". All three books are well written and they wouldn't have happened if I hadn't taken a seed of a NaNo novel and turned it into something more with some grit and gumption.

This year I'm writing my first full length Sci-fi story, "Plague Ship". It's the story of a pilot in charge of a spaceship inhabited by victims of a terrible plague who are mutating. Here's an excerpt.
After a bit of searching among the tubes at the very back of the cargo bay, Kellie located 340. It looked just like the rest. There was a male inside who looked as though he might have been a movie star in his real life. Considering what it was said these procedures cost, Kellie wouldn’t have been surprised if he really was one. Using her handholds, she climbed the tube to the panel on the side. It was lit the same soft blue of the others with readings of the person inside, making sure they were kept at a consistent temperature so that the procedure didn’t wear off too soon.

From what Kellie knew of the virus, it would kill them in pretty short order if they did thaw out. With a sigh, she disconnected the panel front from the rest of it and looked at the back. Everything appeared to be in working order. The readings were constant. There was no sound, though she wondered what the sound of 400 tubes beeping in unison would sound like. Reattaching the panel, she simply hung there a moment staring into the face of the man who waited for the cure to come. He didn’t move. His skin had a slightly bluish cast, and there was frost in his hair.

“One mansicle, coming right up.” She moved herself down more slowly this time, walking backward down the side of the tube. Then she was on the floor and moving away, so she couldn’t have seen when number 340 opened his eyes.
Hoping to be able to bring the scary in this one along with the science. As of day four, I've reached 11,068 and I still have some time to be able to write today, so I might make it a bit further.

2 comments:

RoseBrier said...

You have done NaNoWriMo 10 times? Nice! I only did once and I loved it! I am excited to do it again :) And your story sounds really interesting!!! I want to read it!

Alledria said...

@RoseBrier Yes, I've done NaNoWriMo lots of times. I learn something new about the process every year as well as get a little faster at putting the whole thing together.

That book is on the backburner right noow as I work on other things, but one day it will see the light of day again.

Thanks for commenting.