Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Teacher Furlough Days: What Do they Really Cost?

The teaching profession is near and dear to my heart. My mother, my grandmother, my uncle, and several people I consider to be close friends are teachers. So you can imagine how often I am treated to discussions about furlough days with the current tide in the education system. This prompted the question: What does a furlough day really cost as opposed to what it gives back in savings for a school board? School districts across the country are using the furlough method, which is giving teachers unpaid leave so that they can close down the schools and regain some of the operating costs, to try and make up for the short falls in their budgets. In a way, this makes sense, if you do not have to pay for the school to be open, then you are saving money. However, looking at it from a non-monetary standpoint, it becomes apparent furlough days may do more harm than good.

[Read the entire article]

No comments: