Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Burn Notice Fan Spotlight: Liz Vogel (YogurtWatch)

Well, well, Burn Notice fans, week two is upon us. More days down in our countdown to June. This week, I bring you estimable Liz Vogel. Miss Liz is the keeper of YogurtWatch, a blog post to track the yogurt which makes us all wish to be better eaters. Though she prefers to keep her personal information to herself, Ms. Liz would be quite happy to have anyone from the fandom drop in on her at YogurtWatch on LJ or YogurtWatch on Dreamwidth. On to the spotlight:

When did you notice the yogurt and why did you start following it?

I first noticed it in the pilot, of course, when Michael not only pilfered a yogurt from the bad guy's fridge but then went about nonchalantly eating it while he did his spy stuff. It was somewhere around the 6th episode ("Unpaid Debts") that I looked at my housemate and said, "Is it just me, or does someone have a yogurt fetish?" And I've always had a fondness for odd, slightly-obsessive details in shows (I used to note license plate numbers in The Sandbaggers), so YogurtWatch was a natural outgrowth.

If you could move Yogurt Watch to somewhere other than Livejournal, would you?

I already duplicate YogurtWatch on both InsaneJournal and Dreamwidth. If I had to pick only one, I'd go with Dreamwidth -- less traffic, but I like their attitude toward their users a lot better. But I've no plans to move YogurtWatch off of some kind of journaling service; it gets the job done, and I'm there anyway.

Who's your favorite character and why?

That's so hard to say -- all the characters are great! I suppose it'd be a tie between Fiona -- I love that the 98-pounds-soaking-wet female is the "muscle" -- and Michael, for his endless supply of clever spy tips.

Favorite villain?

Probably Victor -- if you can really call him a villain. I loved his fey, nothing-to-lose approach to mayhem.

What's the one thing about the show you would change?

Maybe a *little* less focus on having one big-bad per season or half-season? Overall, though, I love every aspect of the show.

The one thing that should never, ever change?

Other than the yogurt, you mean? ;-) Michael's informative voice-overs. I *love* getting a sort of Espionage-101 running commentary along with the drama.

Do you have a favorite quote?

There's so many great quotes it's tough to pick a favorite even per episode, but it's hard to beat "Duct tape makes you smart."

Since you follow the yogurt, what do you think are the best and worst yogurt moments of the show?

Worst: Well, Harlan's beer & yogurt combo was pretty revolting! ("Friends and Family")

Best: So many to choose from, but I think I have to go with Sam & Virgil having to find a place to put Michael's yogurt while cannibalizing his refrigerator. ("Rough Seas")

If you could suggest a scene to Matt Nix & the writers involving the yogurt, what would it be?

Mostly I love the subtle little running yogurt gags, just as they've been doing. But it would be neat to see yogurt featured just once in a bit of clever spy-tech, if it wasn't too contrived. I doubt you can make a yogurt-based explosive... would yogurt in the gas tank foul up someone's car? Something like that.

Anything else you'd like to share with the other fans out there?

Only that Burn Notice is fantastic, but they already know that!

Once again, be sure to drop in on Miss Liz Vogel (LJ or DW)and show her some love for her contribution to the Burn Notice fandom. Once again, if you know someone who should be on the spotlight, feel free to leave me a comment here or DM me on Twitter @ourladyofashes.

No comments: