Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Coming of G.I. Joe

So G.I. Joe joins the ranks of cartoons turned into feature films. I know I am of the generation that grew up with Snake Eyes, Duke, Scarlet, and all the other characters of the G.I. Joe: Real American Hero 80’s cartoon show. I was actually in Europe as a child in the 80’s and 90’s so I remember my grandmother having to tape the show on Saturday morning and then mail them to us in Germany on VHS. (Yes, VHS, remember those bulky things?) So despite the distance, I still got a chance to watch all the great missions the G.I. Joes went on. (I learned the word Patagonia and used it every chance I got for a week. It was great.)

However, just like with Transformers (which now have two movies) I am slightly apprehensive about this cartoon being brought to the big screen. There are so many possible chances for things to be done absolutely wrong. The overall plot should have been easy enough to pick out in our current era of militarism and black ops movies, but the characterization is what made the show for the children. We all had someone we wanted to be. Rather it was getting to be General Hawk, the man in charge, or Snake Eyes, the silent ninja, those characters were what made the show. There is a great chance for this to be done well or this could be the next biggest travesty besides adding neon to Batman.

It comes out on Friday(8/7) expect an after-action report. Check for times HERE.

No comments: